Monday 26 November 2012

Lady of the Shades

What. A. Weird. Read. And yet I loved every second of it. 

Darren Shan is one of my favorite authors, of all time! I’ve read two of his series’ of books. Which I have reviewed and if I remember where absolutely amazing. My book I am going to review this week I picked up at random. And bought instantly just because I saw the name Darren Shan. The thing is I didn't even read the back to see what it was about. which I think wouldn't of made any difference, because It made no sense. To me anyway. I’ll explain throughout my review. 

Woops, I guess I forgot to give the name of the book. Lady of the Shades. A fantastic novel from a fantastic writer. I don’t think I have ever read a book with so many plot twists in my entire life, every time another was said I just got more hooked. I really had to figure out how it all pieced together.

With the darkness of John Connolly and the quirkiness of Neil Gaiman, Lady of the Shades is a dark supernatural thriller for adults from the number one bestselling YA author, Darren Shan.

Ed, an American author on the hunt for a story for his next book, arrives in London looking for inspiration. A stranger in a strange city, he's haunted by a deadly secret that refuses to stay buried, and no matter how hard he tries he cannot escape the manifest sins of his past.

What Ed wants is answers, what he find is something he definitely didn’t bargain for: the beautiful and untouchable Andeanna Menderes. Andeanna is a woman who is dangerously bound to one of London’s most notorious crime lords, and if they are caught together it could mean death for them both.

Ensnared in an illicit affair that can only be conducted in the shadows, Ed’s world is turned upside down as a series of shattering revelations blurs the line between  what’s real and what’s not…

I thought the description of the back of the book would be hard to figure out what it was actually about so you should be able to figure out this one out easily. I figured I would have to say this at some stage in this review but, this but is very messed up, really weird.. But in a scary, interesting way I guess. 

“I wake abruptly from a troubled sleep to find the dead pressing in tightly around me.”

It was a very good book. I only got into it around part two or three because that’s when there was loads of things you have to think about and figure out. It reminded me of a Sherlock Holmes story which is one of the reasons I enjoyed it. It took him thirteen years to write it which is amazing. 

I would recommend this book to fifteens and up. All I can say it it’s a bit of a twister and you will never expect what happens. I would give this book four out of five stars. I have to say it again even though your probably sick of hearing it but I’m warning you it’s a very strange book, but there was no dull moment. Darren Shan has done it again and I have extra love for the cover. 


2 comments: